Discuss with your doctor about any prior medical condition that you may have including glaucoma, an irregular heartbeat, heart disease, chest pain, liver disease, prostate problems, thyroid disease, or are unable to urinate (urinary retention), history of seizures, epilepsy, or porphyria, have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances.
You must not take Amaryl if you are taking antihistamines (e.g., diphenhydramine), cisapride, droperidol, a ketolide (e.g., telithromycin) , a macrolide (e.g., erythromycin), mibefradil, or pimozidere allergic to any ingredient in Amitriptyline, are recovering from a heart attack, are currently taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (e.g., phenelzine, selegiline) within the last 14 days.
Certain drugs can interact with Amaryl and hence, mention clearly to your doctor or pharmacist all medicines, dietary supplements and herbal prescriptions that you are taking, especially any of the following.
• MAOIs (eg, phenelzine, selegiline) because they can cause serious, sometimes life-threatening, reactions. Do NOT take MAO inhibitors with, or within 2 weeks of taking, Amitriptyline
• Anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine), bupropion, cimetidine, fluconazole, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine), terbinafine, or valproic acid because side effects such as blurred vision, difficult urination, drowsiness or sedation, dry mouth, or lightheadedness may occur
• Antihistamines (eg, diphenhydramine), cisapride, droperidol, ketolides (eg, telithromycin), macrolides (eg, erythromycin), mibefradil, pimozide, or streptogramins (eg, quinupristin/dalfopristin) because serious side effects on the heart (eg, racing heartbeat, dizziness, fainting, life-threatening abnormal heartbeat leading to unconsciousness, and lack of heartbeat, may be increased by Amitriptyline
• Carbamazepine, thyroid medicines (eg, levothyroxine), or stimulants (eg, albuterol, pseudoephedrine) because their side effects may be increased by Amitriptyline
• Warfarin because side effects such as serious bleeding may be increased by Amitriptyline
• Clonidine, guanethidine, or guanfacine because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased