This drug is used for treating disorders associated with high prolactin levels: persistent breast milk production, lack of a menstrual period, infertility, and other conditions.
How to use
Dostinex must be used exactly as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dostinex is taken by mouth with or without food.
- It may be helpful to mark on a calendar which days you are supposed to take Dostinex.
- If you miss a dose of Dostinex, contact your doctor right away.
Drug Class and Mechanism
Dostinex belongs to dopamine receptor agonists. It works by blocking prolactin secretion from the pituitary gland.
In case you miss a dose of Dostinex, contact your doctor for instructions right away
Store Dostinex at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief exposure to temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dostinex out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Do not use Dostinex if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dostinex or to ergot derivatives (e.g., ergotamine);
- you have uncontrolled high blood pressure;
- you are taking a butyrophenone (e.g., haloperidol), metoclopramide, a phenothiazine (e.g., chlorpromazine), or a thioxanthene (e.g., thiothixene).
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
- Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- If you suspect that you may be pregnant, contact your doctor so that a pregnancy test can be arranged.
- Dostinex should be used with extreme caution in children; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dostinex while you are pregnant. It is not known if Dostinex is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dostinex .
Possible Side Effects
See your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
- constipation; dizziness; headache; indigestion; nausea; tiredness or weakness; vomiting.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
- severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue);
- behavior changes (eg, aggression);
- chest pain;
- irregular heartbeat;
- mood or mental changes;
- shortness of breath;
- swelling of hands or feet;
- vision disturbances.
This medicine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.